Friday, February 17, 2012

Fit Challenge Competitor, Heather Wright - Week 3


We all have good days and bad days. That is just life. There are so many things all of us are going to get on this three month journey, one of which is really learning how to take care of ourselves on the bad days and enjoy the good days to the nth degree. One thing I do when I have things on my mind is I go to the beach before sunset. I watch the sun go down and stay for the glory that it leaves, taking in the bright colors and clouds that paint the sky until I have talked myself through whatever it is. I did that last night and I really need to do that more. I think no matter where it is, we all need to find a physical happy place to go. To me, being somewhere in nature and connecting with the earth on some level helps, as crunchy as it sounds.

Hopefully if I do that enough, I won't be so hard on myself. It's funny, I have learned I am a bit of an extremist. Either I am hardcore exercising, eating right and worried it isn't enough--- or I go the other way and let loose and toss back the drinks and eat whatever. I think by learning how to take care of myself in ways other than eating, drinking, online shopping- I won't be so extreme because I have found other panacea. Usually my go-to is a whole pizza and a bottle of red wine when I am feeling tired, down, or just in a bad mood. It is important that I do a self-check in- figure out the root cause of how I got into that mood. Then, find some way to take care of myself that is still supportive of my goals. So if I am craving pizza, I might just be sleep-deprived or needing to connect with a friend. If sleep or a phone call fails-music, magazines, movies and manicures are all better options that don't leave me with guilt and a hangover the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment