Friday, February 17, 2012

Fit Challenge Competitor, Emily Hanson - Week 2



Dobrodosli natrag prijatelje, zavrsila sam sedmicu broj dva!!! – which is Bosnian for…Welcome back friends, I’ve finished week two!!!  And what a second week it has been.  I have so many thoughts racing through my head as I try to sit down and recapture my week on paper, it’s simply impossible!  How about we just start from the beginning, eh?

On Sunday, I was feeling extra ambitious and decided to map out a nice little run by my house to start off my day.  However, my nice little 3 mile run turned into a .25 mile run and a 2.75 mile hike because I totally spaced on the fact that living on the Riviera means UPHILL all the way!  But nonetheless it was amazing.  Within an hour of getting back home however, I came down with the absolute worst flu-like symptoms I have ever had!  I was so proud of myself for going on the run out of my own will and excited to continue my second week of training and now my excitement was blown.  I was practically laid out for 3 days.  Eating was rough.  I probably had the equivalent of one bowl of chicken soup from Sunday to Tuesday.  But I pressed on and continued the workouts and I have to say, I think they helped!  I felt stronger as the days went on.  I kind of wonder if my body just needed to de-toxify and if it did, then it was a success!

The physical part of the challenge is starting to feel more like a regular part of my life/schedule.  I’ve finally got a little more accustomed to going to bed earlier and waking up at the ass crack of dawn.  I’ve been an night owl my entire life, so going to bed early three days a week is a challenge for me!  But I’m definitely feeling more energized and, well, healthier!  The muscles are sore, but it’s such a good sore   My coworkers laugh as I groan while going up the stairs first thing in the morning but the cool thing for me is… I’m no longer out of breath when I get to the top like I used to be!  It’s the small things like that that totally make it worth it on a daily basis.  And then there’s of course the whole pants fitting a little looser part!  I mean, sometimes seeing is believing, right?  Well, seeing and feeling my clothes fit better is a wonderful feeling.  But of course I sometimes wonder if I’m just imagining things… but when my boss actually added to our meeting agenda, “Emily is shrinking!” that was all the “seeing” I needed to believe.

As for the emotional side of things?  Still a little bit of a rollercoaster   But I find, a good re-arranging of all of the furniture in my house will help solve that! (And be a little workout all in itself…bookshelves, elliptical, coffee table and sitting chairs are pretty darn heavy for one to move!)  My grandma was finally able to go home from the hospital but is now in hospice care.  She has been such a huge part of my life and I only hope that my children someday could have the amazing relationship with their grandparents as I have with mine.  Which brings me to another dip in the coaster… each of my parent’s health is not the greatest.  They’ve both battled cancer amongst other problems and living a healthy lifestyle is sometimes a challenge.  Even in just these first two weeks, sharing on a regular basis with them my triumphs and tribulations in this challenge, I somehow hope that it will stick in their minds… and I think it is.  I’m sharing with them what I’m eating and even little exercises they can do in their own homes and they’re genuinely interested!  Only time will tell and I’m excited for my results to be the kick in their pants to make a difference in their own lives.

Well that’s the week in a nutshell, or kind of a nutshell; what can I say, I sometimes talk a lot when I’m passionate about something.  Speaking of passions… I’ve spent some time in Bosnia and met one of my dearest friends while there.  I was talking to her this week and she is truly an inspiration in my daily life.  I was sharing everything about life right now – the challenge, my grandma, the breakup, work, everything! and she was just so encouraging.  It’s so great to know that I have such a strong network surrounding me during this complete life change.  From friends, to coworkers to family, I know they’re there cheering me on.  Until next time - vidimo se laku noc! (see you soon and good night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment