Friday, January 27, 2012

Fit Challenge Competitor, Emily Hanson - Week 1





Stand For Something or Fall For Anything

Before starting to write this blog post, I decided to re-read my essay that I submitted for this challenge.  It’s incredible how much can and HAS already changed in just a week and a half.  I’m amazed.  This week has been an interesting week to say the least.  I feel a little bit like I’m in the middle of a whirlwind.  Lets go back one week ago…  

On Wednesday of last week my really good friend emailed me and told me about this challenge that her personal trainer was offering.  I don’t know exactly what happened to me at the moment of reading her email but something inside of me jumped and I knew this was something that I needed to do.  So, I poured my heart out onto paper – well, technically on the keyboard.  Then I realized, “Crap, I need before photos and this is due tomorrow!”  My friend took my pictures the next day, I submitted the essay, I found out the next evening that I was chosen and then… it’s go time.

I knew that changes would happen, both physically and emotionally – but I surely didn’t expect them on day 2!  In hindsight, I realize that all the changes that happened this week are because I am finally treating myself as #1, which is something I’m definitely not used to.  I’m a very nurturing person!  I almost always put others before me, which is something I’m totally ok with!  But there is a point in time where I realize that it is actually doing more damage not just to myself, but the people I’m enabling as well.  So without going into too much detail, because as I’m writing this I'm realizing this is a public blog (damn, what have I already written?!  I’ve totally been treating this as a journal entry… oh well!) and in a nutshell my week has consisted of breaking up with my boyfriend who I've been with for a year, finding out that my grandma most likely was not going to make it to see Thursday morning and just a downright crazy week with everything else.  

As I sit here and reflect, I would have thought I'd be kind of down and out about the happenings of the week... But in reality, this week has been pretty eye opening to the more important things in life. I was able to see my grandma looking happy in what may be her very last days, I stood strong in my decision of knowing what I needed for my future, I worked my butt off (literally!) at every workout and I kicked ass at our client meeting at work.  I never would have thought that throwing in a few workouts would change my life, but this is only the beginning of a new lifestyle ad I can't wait to see what's in store for next week.  

Yes, I know, I know. I'm supposed to write more about what I'm eating and how sore I am ;) but not tonight.  Tonight the emotional side pulled rank on the physical and I'm ok with that. I heard a saying earlier in the week and it really stuck with me. It said, "Stand for something or fall for anything." I think I'll stand. I welcome you to join the roller coaster of the next 11 weeks.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment